Sunday, October 14, 2012

Upcycling Lamps

I am always in the mood to paint and make a mess, it is in my nature.  So today I remembered a pair of lamps I bought at a yard sale around 6 years ago and it really isnt that they were in bad shape, it just was not something that I loved. The shades were this horrible red color and it really clashed, so I decided I would Upcycle it!

Here are the Pictures!
Here is the original lamp, see how HORRIBLE the lamp shade is!?! The lamp itself is not bad but I didnt love it, it has been stuffed back in the spare bedroom.

 
 

 
I had to strip the fabric off of the lamp shade.
To do this I used a sewing tool that allows you to cut the stitching.
 
 
 
I then took the whole shade apart to apply new fabric to the shade.

 
 
 
Sadly I did not take pictures of this part, and this may seem to you to be one of the most confusing parts, but honestly it was very simple.  I cut the fabric about a 1/2 of an inch big around the shade.  I applied a thin layer of glue and laid the fabric on top and pulled it very tight to make sure it was smooth.  I did the same to wrap it around to the other side and fold it over. The image below is the inside of the shade.

 
 
 
 
I had a bottle of spray paint left from the wreath project so I took my lamp outside and took it apart and spray painted the white metal.  Notice that I got some spray paint onto the black part and the easy way that I got it off was with baby oil and a cotton ball and some elbow grease. 
 
 
 
Here is the finished product of my lamp all put together!
 
LOVE!
 
BEFORE AND AFTER.
 
I also took the other lamp and I made it a dark plum.  I didnt want them to match perfectly, so here are a couple of pictures about that process!
 
 
 
 
 
 My finished lamps!
 


2 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG, I love what you did to this lamp.
You took that baby apart....lol
Looks absolutely fab.

Hugs

Tiffany said...

Thanks so much! I absolutely love them!

Post a Comment