Thursday, April 19, 2012

3 different Casserole recipes I make!

I had a friend from Washington State tell me that she had NEVER had a casserole of ANY KIND before moving to Kentucky, she said growing up in Washington and California it really was not a staple of food that they ate.  I can understand that because a lot of southern states are not necesarily health concious and will eat what is good with little regard for health, in saying that I grew up in a true southern home with LOTS of casseroles and friend food.  I will say to this day I HATE HATE HATE the smell of grease, I hate cooking with it, if at all possible I bake nearly everything.  But she talked about how she loves casseroles but doesnt know how to make them, then I had a guy friend of mine message me last night asking for me to please tell him how to make Broccoli casserole. Im going to explain a few staples in my families home as far as casseroles and we had a few.

Hashbrown Casserole
Broccoli Casserole
Creamed Corn Pudding Casserole

Each are fairly easy to make.

Hasbrown Casserole

Image Detail

I usually buy 1 bag of frozen Ore Ida Hasbrowns.
1 Can of cream of chicken (You can use Cream of mushroom for vegetarian Casserole).
1 16oz container of sour cream.
1 Bag of shredded cheese.

Preheat your oven to 375 Degrees

Empty half of your bag of hashbrowns into a mixing bowl add some sour cream and some of the cream of chicken. 

After mixing thoroughly add the rest of the hashbrowns, cream of chicken and sour cream, as well as half of the bag of cheese. 

After mixing all of that throughly pour all the contents into a 9X13 Baking dish and layer the rest of the cheese on top of the casserole.

Put the casserole into the oven for about 30 mintues until the cheese on top is golden brown. 


Broccoli Casserole

Image Detail


What you will need:

4 -5 heads of broccoli
2 Blocks of cheese 16 oz each (I usually get one Mild Cheddar and one Sharp Cheddar)
Ritz crackers 1 package
Butter 1 stick
Milk 1 1/2 Cups

Salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cut the broccoli florets off of the stem and boil them on top of the stove until the start to soften DO NOT COOK THEM TO MUSH!  Need to boil for about 10-15 minutes.

Strain the broccoli.

Add some broccoli to the bottom of the 9 X 13 Baking dish, about half of the broccoli. 

 Add some salt to the top of the broccoli, then from your stick of butter cut off about 8 slivers and place in sporatic places in and on top of the broccoli in the dish. 

Then you will open both packs of cheese and cut some slices off and places about an inch apart, pn all of the broccoli in the baking dish. 

Layer the rest of your broccoli on top and repeat the same process as above, layer the cheese, butter and salt on top.

Now you will pour your 1 1/2 cups of milk on top of the broccoli.

Take the pack of ritz crackers and I will normally put them into a large freezer zip lock baggie and I will crush them up and you will cover the top of the broccoli with the crackers.  I will normally cover the whole top of the broccoli with the crackers more so than what is in the picture listed above.

You will then put the casserole into the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes, until the crackers or golden brown and the milk in the bottom of the dish is cooked up.


*** My biggest reccomendation for this all has to do with the broccoli!  I always use FLORETS ONLY I never use broccoli cuts, they are completely different!  AND when you cook the broccoli on the stove do not cook it into a mush but make sure that it has softened up!  There is nothing nastier than eating broccoli casserole with hard broccoli!


Creamed Corn Pudding Casserole
Image Detail



What you will need:

1 Can of Creamed corned
1 Can of Sweet golden corn
1 egg
3/4-1 cup of flour
1/4-1/2 cup sugar
Butter

Preheat oven to 350 Degrees

Empty both cans of corn into a mixing bow

Add your egg to the mixture

Slowly mix in the flour, you do not have to use it all it is merely used as a thickening agent. You will need to at least use 3/4 of a cup most usually you will need all but it is your discretion.

The sugar you use depends on how sweet you want the casserole I usually use somewhere between 1/2 and 1/4 cup of sugar. 

Mix all of it together and pour into a 9 X 9 baking dish, I then cut off a few slivers of butter and put it in a few places on top of the corn.

Put casserole into the oven and bake for 25-30 mintues until the top of the casserole is golden brown.


I hope you all have a ball trying some of these personal versions of recipes!

BON APETIT!

0 comments:

Post a Comment