Monday, April 16, 2012

Re-Upholstry

As I have said before I am all about getting into any crafty thing that I can, even if I have never done it before and I have to essentially find my way around in the dark. I have always been attracted to the idea of reupholstering things but had never found an item that I loved enough to do it with. Until I happened upon the PERFECT chair for $8.00 at Goodwill, needless to say I was anxious to start the process. Some things you will need to know, as far as fabric you need to get the thicker canvas type material that can withstand much more use than the basic cotton. I painted my chair first then ripped off the fabric and reupholstered. You can find a million and one tutorials online for this but you will need pliers to remove staples I used a hammer and a staplegun as well. So here was my process;





This is what I bought, the seat was flattened and it needed a paint job.



So it took a while to sand it down, and this is the finished sanding down part.



I picked out black spray paint and this is with the first coat. And a side note if you are going to spray paint things it is really nice to go with the spray paint that costs a little more because it sprays on much better due to the nozzle and with a lot less coats of paint.



This is the final spray painted coat.



So I dont have any pictures of the re-upholstery process but this is the finished product of my chair. I wish this was a better picture but I dont have a better one! But it turned out amazing!
So after this I decided to reupholster my kitchen chairs, as well as spray paint them.



This is what my kitchen chairs looked like originally.



…and this was after. reupholstering CAN be hard depending on what you do.. But choose a simple item originally and just work through it.. It truly can make a MAJOR difference in the furniture!


0 comments:

Post a Comment